You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I stop Mail from automatically marking emails as read (before I have read them)?

I'm sure I'm not the only one with too much email. I will often skim through the summary list, deleting some and moving some to junkmail. This gets rid of a lot.

But as I move or delete an email, my cursor moves to the next email in line and marks it read. I then have to click on it and mark it as unread.

Unless there's a crystal ball connected, Mail can't tell if I'm going to read the email. Can I get it to mark it read once I've OPENED it instead of when the cursor simply lands on it?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 1:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 2:06 AM

That’s just the thing. If you have tge preview open then the moment the mail is selected in the list and preview shows it there is no way Mail can guess whether you consider it read or not.

I prefer to close down the preview pane completely. This way only messages that I deliberately open will be marked as read.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 25, 2021 2:06 AM in response to Jarmaracark

That’s just the thing. If you have tge preview open then the moment the mail is selected in the list and preview shows it there is no way Mail can guess whether you consider it read or not.

I prefer to close down the preview pane completely. This way only messages that I deliberately open will be marked as read.

Can I stop Mail from automatically marking emails as read (before I have read them)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.