You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't open office on my MacBook air after upgrade to iOS big sur

After I upgraded mac book air to OS big sur I can't open any ms office program. When I try to open a file I'm asked to pay for a subscription to office 365. But I already pay to have the ms office

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 6:51 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 11:58 AM

If you have an older version of Office, like Office 2011, your Office won’t work with BigSur (nor did it work with Catalina). Older versions are 32-bit apps and Catalina and BigSur need 64-bit apps.

You can either subscribe to Office 365 or buy Office 2019

There are free alternatives:

• if you have an outlook.com account, you can use the webversion of Office (go to their website)
  • try the free OfficeLibre for Mac that works really fine together with Office files https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/
  • Apple’s own Pages, Numbers and Keynote (already on your Mac)
2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 26, 2021 11:58 AM in response to marios112

If you have an older version of Office, like Office 2011, your Office won’t work with BigSur (nor did it work with Catalina). Older versions are 32-bit apps and Catalina and BigSur need 64-bit apps.

You can either subscribe to Office 365 or buy Office 2019

There are free alternatives:

• if you have an outlook.com account, you can use the webversion of Office (go to their website)
  • try the free OfficeLibre for Mac that works really fine together with Office files https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/
  • Apple’s own Pages, Numbers and Keynote (already on your Mac)

can't open office on my MacBook air after upgrade to iOS big sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.