You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difference between lightning usb to camera and lightning usb to camera 3 adapter

I am going to buy an ipad 8th generation. I want to ask that for using seagate external basic plus portable hard drive with ipad 8th gen , can i use lightning to usb camera adapter or have i to use camera 3 adapter? And along with it have i to use power hub also? Means- if i buy lightning to usb camera 3 adapter then power hub is of no use to me? Will this purchase be enough or i can use lightning to usb camera adapter. It will save my money if i wl buy usb camera adapter rather than usb camera “3” adapter? Please please please rep asap. Thanks

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 10:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 10:45 AM

The Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter provides considerable benefit over the previous version of this adapter.

In addition to supporting USB3 speeds (considerably greater than USB2.0 of the previous Camera Adapter), the newer version includes both a USB3 Type-A connector and a Lightning pass-through power connection - to which you should connect your iPad Power Adapter. Given that you iPad is unable to power devices that require high-current, such as many external storage devices, the pass-through power connection largely resolves this limitation. In addition, the iPad can charge whilst using external devices.

You may still derive benefit from using a powered USB Hub in some circumstances when using the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter.

The older Camera Adapter is only really suitable for connecting external storage devices that are independently powered - or for connection of supported low-power accessories such as a wired keyboard. Whilst the older Camera Adapter is marginally cheaper, it is false economy. If it works at all, data transfer rates are very slow.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 27, 2021 10:45 AM in response to Sunilmalhotra28

The Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter provides considerable benefit over the previous version of this adapter.

In addition to supporting USB3 speeds (considerably greater than USB2.0 of the previous Camera Adapter), the newer version includes both a USB3 Type-A connector and a Lightning pass-through power connection - to which you should connect your iPad Power Adapter. Given that you iPad is unable to power devices that require high-current, such as many external storage devices, the pass-through power connection largely resolves this limitation. In addition, the iPad can charge whilst using external devices.

You may still derive benefit from using a powered USB Hub in some circumstances when using the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter.

The older Camera Adapter is only really suitable for connecting external storage devices that are independently powered - or for connection of supported low-power accessories such as a wired keyboard. Whilst the older Camera Adapter is marginally cheaper, it is false economy. If it works at all, data transfer rates are very slow.

Difference between lightning usb to camera and lightning usb to camera 3 adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.