You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I figure out if the software I have on my old Intel based MacBook Pro will run on one of the new MacBook Pros

I have a 2014 MacBook Pro that is showing its age and may need to consider a new computer in the not too distant future. Since Apple is moving toward SoC architecture as well as I've heard support is being dropped for Intel based Macs, I was wondering if there is software available that can tell me if the software I have will run on the new SoC Macs. I'm not wanting to go shell out money for a new computer and new software if I can help it. Also not sure if I'd be better off buying one of the Intel MacBook Pros while they are still available or if I could move to one of the newer MacBook Pros without a number of issues.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 2:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 2:18 PM

Depending on the macOS version you are currently running, you may already have something that can tell you what Apps may and may not work on a new Mac.

If you are running macOS 11 Big Sur, and everything you use works on it currently, then it will work on a new M1 Mac either directly or through the Rosetta 2 translation framework. Rosetta will be installed on the new Mac the first time you run something that requires it. It's transparent once installed.

If running Mojave or earlier you can check in Apple Menu->About This Mac->Overview->System Report->Software->Applications

If the Applications have Yes in the 64 Bit column, then they are fine and will work on new Macs with the new Apple SoC either directly or through Rosetta. If it says no, then they will not run on the new Macs at all.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 28, 2021 2:18 PM in response to kenfromnoblesville

Depending on the macOS version you are currently running, you may already have something that can tell you what Apps may and may not work on a new Mac.

If you are running macOS 11 Big Sur, and everything you use works on it currently, then it will work on a new M1 Mac either directly or through the Rosetta 2 translation framework. Rosetta will be installed on the new Mac the first time you run something that requires it. It's transparent once installed.

If running Mojave or earlier you can check in Apple Menu->About This Mac->Overview->System Report->Software->Applications

If the Applications have Yes in the 64 Bit column, then they are fine and will work on new Macs with the new Apple SoC either directly or through Rosetta. If it says no, then they will not run on the new Macs at all.

How do I figure out if the software I have on my old Intel based MacBook Pro will run on one of the new MacBook Pros

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.