You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mid2011 MacBook Air (MacBookAir4,1) thunderbolt ethernet adapter not connected

I have a mid2011 MacBook Air (MacBookAir4,1) with a "thunderbolt" port on the right side ( thunderbolt icon, not display icon), but it doesn't recognize a thunderbolt ethernet adapter that works on my MacBook Pro. Network preference list it as a Thunderbolt1 Bridge, but it stays "inactive".

About this Mac hardware->thunderbolt shows the device as Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter:

The same adapter+cable+dhcp just works automatically on the Pro.

I haven't tried a PRAM or SMC reset yet.

Thanks

dalonso

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 3:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2021 12:45 AM

Try resetting the PRAM and SMC. Below is how-

1. Reset SMC by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset SMC. If that does not solve things then-
  2. Reset NVRAM/PRAM by following the directions applicable to your MacBook here ➔ How to Reset NVRAM/PRAM

Axel F.

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 4, 2021 1:02 PM in response to darwin219

I find that the contacts on the MBAir's Thunderbolt port become dirty and need to be cleaned. It is very hard to clean a Thunderbolt port since there is very little room and you have to be very careful not to damage the contacts on the port connector. Sometimes just inserting & removing a Thunderbolt cable/adapter multiple times is enough to clean the port to make it work.

mid2011 MacBook Air (MacBookAir4,1) thunderbolt ethernet adapter not connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.