You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I select any photo, how can I see in which album it is located?

Apple Photos: question 1: When I select any photo, how can I see in which album it is located?

Question 2: How can I select the photo's that I did not yet put in an album.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 7:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 8:33 AM

Question 2 is easier to answer.

To see all photos not yet in any album, create a smart album (file > New Smart Album) with the rule "Album > is not > Any". This will work in any system version of macOS 10.14 or later. (in Photos 5 in Catalina you may encounter a bug: Problems with the Smart Album Rule: Album is not Any in Photos 5.0 - Apple Community)

As to question 1: There is no tool in Photos to show you the album a photo is in. You can make it easier by adding the name of the album a photo is in as a keyword to the Photo. Or add the keyword later, after selecting all photos in an album with ⌘A while viewing the album. Then you will see in the info of a photo the names of the albums you added the photo to. A Photo can be added to many albums without needing more storage.

Or run an Apple Script to show search all albums for the photo and list all albums.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 1, 2021 8:33 AM in response to GabrielvP

Question 2 is easier to answer.

To see all photos not yet in any album, create a smart album (file > New Smart Album) with the rule "Album > is not > Any". This will work in any system version of macOS 10.14 or later. (in Photos 5 in Catalina you may encounter a bug: Problems with the Smart Album Rule: Album is not Any in Photos 5.0 - Apple Community)

As to question 1: There is no tool in Photos to show you the album a photo is in. You can make it easier by adding the name of the album a photo is in as a keyword to the Photo. Or add the keyword later, after selecting all photos in an album with ⌘A while viewing the album. Then you will see in the info of a photo the names of the albums you added the photo to. A Photo can be added to many albums without needing more storage.

Or run an Apple Script to show search all albums for the photo and list all albums.

When I select any photo, how can I see in which album it is located?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.