You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand new install of an internal SSD on my 2017 iMac.

I need help with a step-by-step process on how to get a newly installed internal SSD to start on my iMac. I have a current TimeMachine backup.

New SSD in place; TM devise on hand, not connected yet.

Now, next steps...please?

My device specs are below. I am switching from a Hybrid drive to a full SSD (2 TB). The current drive is failing and I want to make the change before total failure, but need direction in order to do it correctly.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 3, 2021 2:17 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jul 4, 2021 12:47 PM in response to rafeman

Sorry for not responding sooner.

Yes the latest 30 day trail version of CCC, should also take care of the APFS formatting as well.

If not, then simply follow the Erase instruction, at > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496,

first and then proceed with Cloning.

After the cloning has finished, test the Cloned SSD by restarting the Mac into the Startup manager and selecting the SSD as the startup disk.

Jul 4, 2021 10:06 AM in response to den.thed

den.thed, thanks for your answer! Since I had decided to replace the drive internally, I posted the question that way. The fact is the SSD drive is still sitting next to me, so it is good I waited. Your solution seems the best for my level of expertise.

BTW, the SSD drive was purchased from OWC along with the iMac kit to make the change feasible.

Given my level of expertise though, I would run the steps to be taken, like:

1. Connect new SSD to iMac with Universal Drive Adapter.
  2. Using CCC to clone HD. Q: does CCC format the SSD? Or do I have to do it manually?
  3. Hit Start

Now, because of my original and misleading question, I assume the second paragraph refers to the SSD being already installed, correct? If that is so, then would you be kind enough to help with Steps to follow after #3 above.

Please, and thank you very much!!

Jul 11, 2021 10:11 AM in response to den.thed

den.thed, again, thanks!

I got it done, opened iMac and installed the new SSD drive! The only minor glitches I found were 1) the screen connectors were not at all as shown in the OWC video, but I chose logic rather than panic and was able to solve that. 2) it took longer to get the glue strips off the body & screen than it was shown on the video, but again, patience and "wrist-grease" won the day.

Now, to the next issue:

When starting the iMac for the first time, I got the Lightning and USB connector symbols plus an apple support website address on a black screen but had no way of selecting either. Tried all the Option+R command and a couple of other iterations with no results.

So, I decided to plug in the old drive, using the Universal Drive Adapter, and presto! It started.

Now, it is seeing both drives, the SSD on top of the Macintosh HD on the Disk Utility window, but refuses to see the new SSD as the startup drive.

I restarted the Mac with the Option+R mode and showed me the Disk Utility window, I unmounted the Hybrid HD and closed all and restarted, but the Mac HD keeps showing up.

Funny thing is the computer appears to be working from the newly installed drive, to judge by the blazing speed I now see in the system; which makes me all the more want to get it all "right" and do away with the old - and flawed - HD.

Any thoughts?

Please and thank you...

Jul 13, 2021 11:15 AM in response to rafeman

den.thed, hello! Just wanted to provide an update; I got the problem solved !! I had help of course, yours and the Support team at OWC. The solution was to do a fresh instal of the Mac OS into the new SSD drive, followed by an incremental backup from the old Mac HD to the new SSD using Carbon Copy Cloner. Then erasing and unmounting the volumes of the Mac HD, doing a restart, and voila!!

Old is out, new is in, and working like "buttah"....

Again thanks to you and all who offered help and suggestions!

Have a great week!!

Brand new install of an internal SSD on my 2017 iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.