You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Your password is required to enable iCloud Photo Library."

Hi.

I have been having this issue for a week. I have read countless blogs and even the Apple forum but nothing seems to be working. I keep getting an error saying that my password is required in order to have my iCloud photos synced but it is already turned on. I have already: signed in and out of my iCloud on my Mac (and my iPhone has everything turned on for the iCloud so it should sync normally); I have restarted, turned off, deleted everything, and tried to sync everything again and nothing is working. My photo gallery has been stuck in "updating" for days albeit connected to the internet and synced to my iCloud. I have used my normal wifi and my mobile hotspot to do this but the internet is not the issue as the speed of both is the same. I have attached a screenshot for prima facie proof of the happenings.

Assistance would be appreciated.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 3, 2021 3:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 4:50 AM

In system preferences > uncheck the box of photos you have to click 2 - 3 times to get it unchecked , open photos preferences .

I cloud photos will get unchecked .

Again in system preferences > check the box of photos it prompts to enter admin password .

It will show checking library .

In few moments will show setting up finally the photos box is set and in photos preferences , iCloud photos box will automatically get checked .

This article is applied in the last when photo application is not working properly , right now avoid it Repair your library in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

You are opening a different location > apple logo > about this Mac > storage > manage > click on store in iCloud

Again clicking on store in iCloud , it prompts to enter admin password , in fact photos are stored already in photo library you don't need to touch default settings , an error will show to enter admin password .

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 4, 2021 4:50 AM in response to itskellyturner

In system preferences > uncheck the box of photos you have to click 2 - 3 times to get it unchecked , open photos preferences .

I cloud photos will get unchecked .

Again in system preferences > check the box of photos it prompts to enter admin password .

It will show checking library .

In few moments will show setting up finally the photos box is set and in photos preferences , iCloud photos box will automatically get checked .

This article is applied in the last when photo application is not working properly , right now avoid it Repair your library in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

You are opening a different location > apple logo > about this Mac > storage > manage > click on store in iCloud

Again clicking on store in iCloud , it prompts to enter admin password , in fact photos are stored already in photo library you don't need to touch default settings , an error will show to enter admin password .

Jul 4, 2021 4:27 AM in response to tygb

I’ve done this. I still get the pop up that I need to sign in despite having my iCloud on for photos to be stored albeit the photos has finished updating and is now on my Mac.

What can I do for the pop up "Your password is required to enable iCloud Photo Library." My password has been entered, I have my iCloud turned on for everything, and I have sufficient storage available.

"Your password is required to enable iCloud Photo Library."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.