You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers data sheet for auto complete

In an annual checkbook spreadsheet (one sheet per month) I have a "notes" field (text) to further explain a withdrawal or deposit. I would like to, say, type the first letter or two and have Numbers offer me text to auto complete. This works if I already have already entered the text i.e. if I have entered Venmo and I wish to enter it in another transaction, all I have to do is type "V" and Venmo is offered.

Is there a way to build a data sheet (i.e. a thirteenth sheet in my checking spreadsheet) that my "notes" field, on all sheets, can use as a lookup table? Something I can update as needed to reduce typing?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 1:29 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 2:08 PM

Wait, there may be a better way. A separate table CAN be the source of all the "previous entries", as you suggested. This way you can add items to and delete items from the one table and it will apply to all your other tables.

As in the first solution, insert a bunch of new rows at the top of your tables, directly below the header rows(s).

In a new table will be a list of entries.

The "bunch of new rows" you added will reference each of those entries.

Here is a quick mockup.

Table 2 needs to have the same number of header rows as your monthly tables.

The formula in B2 is =Table 2::A&"" (Use the column "A" reference not cell reference "A2")

Fill down to capture all rows of Table 2

Hide the new rows (which I did not do for the screenshot)

You can see in cell B12 I started typing a G and it is giving me an autocomplete list

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 6, 2021 2:08 PM in response to Badunit

Wait, there may be a better way. A separate table CAN be the source of all the "previous entries", as you suggested. This way you can add items to and delete items from the one table and it will apply to all your other tables.

As in the first solution, insert a bunch of new rows at the top of your tables, directly below the header rows(s).

In a new table will be a list of entries.

The "bunch of new rows" you added will reference each of those entries.

Here is a quick mockup.

Table 2 needs to have the same number of header rows as your monthly tables.

The formula in B2 is =Table 2::A&"" (Use the column "A" reference not cell reference "A2")

Fill down to capture all rows of Table 2

Hide the new rows (which I did not do for the screenshot)

You can see in cell B12 I started typing a G and it is giving me an autocomplete list

Jul 6, 2021 1:50 PM in response to Leslie Bartiromo1

That would be interesting and useful but it is not how autocomplete works. It makes its list from the entries already made in the column. I am not aware of a way to do autocomplete based on the entries in a different table.

You could insert a bunch of new rows into each table and put all those possible entries into those rows, with no data in the other columns that would affect the results of your table and calculations, then hide those rows from view. I would put them at the top (directly below the header row/rows) if you insert new rows to the bottom of your table as the month progresses.

Jul 6, 2021 2:05 PM in response to Badunit

Thank you for your reply.

I am currently doing something like your recommendation. My sheets are 100 rows long; more than I use in a single month. Starting with row 100 I add about 10 common entries. Doing it for 12 sheets kind of defeats the purpose. I couldn't do what I wanted and I was hoping I overlooked something. I think this would make a nice feature for Numbers.

Thanks for the explanation.

Numbers data sheet for auto complete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.