You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Zoom crash my MacBook Pro?

Zoom keeps crashing after about 10 minutes.

I lose sound on speakers although the mic continues to work. Everything else seems ok, it's just audio output.

Then my whole computer starts to crash and go really slow.

I'm using a Macbook Pro Retina 15" bought in 2015. I think this may be linked to recent update to Big Sur.

And yes I have done a total re-install.

There don't appear to be any hardware problems.

My Zoom is up to date.

My speakers and soundcard work fine with other applications.

No issues on my iPad.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jul 9, 2021 4:05 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 2:38 AM

Battery failure - Your battery is reporting that it needs to be serviced.

No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

Limited drive access - More information may be available with Full Drive Access.

CleanMyMac X.app

one notification (one scheduled)

Antivirus software: Apple and CleanMyMac

Right away the possible issue is found even with Limited Disk Access - CleanMyMac is well known in theses forums as Very Dangerous and destructive to the OS. Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 10, 2021 2:38 AM in response to Girlorboy

Battery failure - Your battery is reporting that it needs to be serviced.

No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

Limited drive access - More information may be available with Full Drive Access.

CleanMyMac X.app

one notification (one scheduled)

Right away the possible issue is found even with Limited Disk Access - CleanMyMac is well known in theses forums as Very Dangerous and destructive to the OS. Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

Jul 10, 2021 10:00 AM in response to PRP_53

I've copied the details they give about major issues.

I hope this is useful information. And thank you again.

Top Processes Snapshot by CPU

Process (count)SourceCPUpkgutilApple81.40 %AboutAvidAppManHelperAvid Technology Inc80.74 %Show in Findersystem_profiler (2)Apple67.38 %Aboutkernel_taskApple62.43 %trustd (4)Apple38.52 %About

A list of processes using the highest amount of your computer’s processing capacity. Any value over 50% may indicate a problem. Any value over 100% may indicate a serious problem. 

If any 3rd party apps are listed, click the Show in Finder button to find the app.

Top Processes Snapshot by Memory

Process (count)SourceRAM usagecom.apple.WebKit.WebContent (13)Apple2.76 GBEtreCheckProEtresoft, Inc.583 MBTranslocatedsystem_profiler (2)Apple533 MBAboutAvidAppManHelperAvid Technology Inc462 MBShow in FinderDropbox (3)Dropbox, Inc.455 MBShow in Finder

A list of processes using the highest amount of your computer’s RAM memory. A value over 2 GB may indicate a problem such as a memory leak. 

If any 3rd party apps are listed, click the Show in Finder button to find the app.

Jul 10, 2021 10:56 AM in response to Girlorboy

You can check to see if you've removed all of the supporting files by downloading and running the shareware app Find Any File to search for any files with the application's or the developer's name in the file name.  For CMM software you'd do the following search(es): 

1 - Name contains cleanmymac

2 - Name contains macaw

Any files that are found can be dragged from the search results window to the Desktop or Trash bin in the Dock for deletion.

FAF can search areas that Spotlight can't like invisible folders, system folders and packages.  

You don't want any remnants of that crapware to be left over messing up your Mac.

Jul 9, 2021 7:28 AM in response to Girlorboy

Girlorboy wrote:

Zoom keeps crashing after about 10 minutes.
I lose sound on speakers although the mic continues to work. Everything else seems ok, it's just audio output.
Then my whole computer starts to crash and go really slow.

I'm using a Macbook Pro Retina 15" bought in 2015. I think this may be linked to recent update to Big Sur.

And yes I have done a total re-install.
There don't appear to be any hardware problems.
My Zoom is up to date.
My speakers and soundcard work fine with other applications.

No issues on my iPad.

Zoom Support - Zoom Help Center

Jul 10, 2021 2:38 AM in response to Girlorboy

You've fallen for this creepy "cleanmymac". This is tantamount to malware. Try uninstalling (you have to follow their instructions for that). Ultimately, you may have to do a clean install. Any mac that has been tainted by this **** may have been corrupted.

Security:

Gatekeeper: App Store and identified developers

System Integrity Protection: Enabled

Unsigned Files:

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2.Agent.plist

Executable: /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2.Agent

Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.macpaw.CleanMyMac2Helper.scheduledScan.plist

Executable: ~/Library/Application Support/CleanMyMac 2/CleanMyMac 2 Helper.app --args -scheduled

Details: Exact match found in the legitimate list - probably OK

Jul 10, 2021 3:34 AM in response to Girlorboy

If as suggest by @Luis S. - Wipe and reinstall is done - be very careful if going to Restore data from Time Machine Backup. Only migrate User Account and nothing else. If one does restore ALL including Applications - it may re-introduce the existing problematic CleanMyMac ***ware back and effectively negating the virgin and pristine reinstallation just performed.

Jul 10, 2021 4:45 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you.

I do have a Time Machine backup on an external drive which isn't plugged in at the moment. I've uninstalled CleanMyMac. Foolishly, I left Gemini still installed.

I guess that if I now do a Time Machine backup, this will not include any dodgy CleanMyMac stuff.

I have not so far had to restore from Time Machine.

Why does Zoom crash my MacBook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.