You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t I receive text messages from my phone number on my new iPad? I can only receive iMessages. I have looked for setup in settings and only see iMessage.

Why can’t I receive text messages from my phone number on my new iPad? I can only receive iMessages. I have looked for setup in settings and only see iMessage.

iPad Mini 5, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 7:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 7:27 AM

To receive SMS on an iPad, you must have an iPhone that is setup for Text Message Forwarding. On your iPhone, go to Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding, and select your iPad.

9 replies

Jul 28, 2021 9:53 AM in response to Way Long

Way Long wrote:

When I try setting up as you suggested, I get a message saying my icloud and iMessage are different. What do I do?

Make them the same.

The Apple IDs used for both iCloud and iMessages on both devices need to be the same. On each device go to Settings->Messages->Send & Receive->Apple ID, and make sure its the same one you are using for iCloud under Settings->Account (top of settings)->email under your name there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.