You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 16" gaming - horrible performance suddenly?

Hi,

I bought my max-spec Macbook Pro 16" in Nov 2019. It has been (and still is) a true workhorse for music production and all other tasks.

The first year I could easily run games on it (e.g. Dota 2 was running pretty smooth), but recently I have to downgrade to poor graphic settings and I still get a max of 20 FPS.

Im running it on an External screen (Phillips 349P7F) through USB-C and have always done that, but the recent months have been horrible game-wise.

I tried running it through a HDMI dongle, but same issue. Around 20-30 FPS.

Any wizards out there who can guide me how to fix this?

SPECS:

Macbook Pro 16"

OSX CATALINA

2.3 Ghz

64 GB RAM

8 GB RADEON 5500 GPU

2 TB HDD

PHILLIPS 349P7F SCREEN

The screen is connected directly from USB-C to USB-C. No dongles.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 5:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2021 8:04 PM

Make sure your charger is connected directly to the laptop to ensure the laptop is receiving the charger's full power.

Try an SMC Reset and PRAM Reset.

Disconnect any unnecessary external devices when playing the game in case one of them is causing a problem.

Make sure you are not running any anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, or third party security software since they are not needed on a Mac and usually cause more problems than they solve plus they impact system performance. Uninstall these apps by following the developer's instructions. Also quit all other open apps when playing the game.

Check with the game's developers/publisher and check any user communities for the particular game to see if there are any known issues on the Mac. It is possible a game update (or even a macOS update) has broken Mac compatibility temporarily.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 14, 2021 8:04 PM in response to inzidermusic

Make sure your charger is connected directly to the laptop to ensure the laptop is receiving the charger's full power.

Try an SMC Reset and PRAM Reset.

Disconnect any unnecessary external devices when playing the game in case one of them is causing a problem.

Make sure you are not running any anti-virus apps, cleaning apps, or third party security software since they are not needed on a Mac and usually cause more problems than they solve plus they impact system performance. Uninstall these apps by following the developer's instructions. Also quit all other open apps when playing the game.

Check with the game's developers/publisher and check any user communities for the particular game to see if there are any known issues on the Mac. It is possible a game update (or even a macOS update) has broken Mac compatibility temporarily.

Jul 14, 2021 6:41 AM in response to inzidermusic

inzidermusic wrote:

Hi,

I bought my max-spec Macbook Pro 16" in Nov 2019. It has been (and still is) a true workhorse for music production and all other tasks.

The first year I could easily run games on it (e.g. Dota 2 was running pretty smooth), but recently I have to downgrade to poor graphic settings and I still get a max of 20 FPS.

Im running it on an External screen (Phillips 349P7F) through USB-C and have always done that, but the recent months have been horrible game-wise.
I tried running it through a HDMI dongle, but same issue. Around 20-30 FPS.

Any wizards out there who can guide me how to fix this?

SPECS:

Macbook Pro 16"
OSX CATALINA
2.3 Ghz
64 GB RAM
8 GB RADEON 5500 GPU
2 TB HDD

PHILLIPS 349P7F SCREEN
The screen is connected directly from USB-C to USB-C. No dongles.

Have you checked you refresh rate settings...

Change the refresh rate on your 16-inch MacBook Pro or ...

You can try—

Reset NVRAM.  You only need to do this the first time you disconnect external devices.

Have you given any thought to upgrading your software...Big Sur macOS 11.4

https://support.apple.com/macos

Macbook Pro 16" gaming - horrible performance suddenly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.