You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

About clean install: Windows remains as a boot option after wiping the whole SSD clean

Hi! Due to various problems with my Mac (Macbook Pro 15” Mid 2018) I wanted to format the whole hard disk clean and start over. Now I’m about to install MacOS again after formatting the SSD, but there is a problem, that when I start up holding alt, Windows is there still as an option. Obviously, it goes into a repair mode of Windows if I select it and doesn’t start properly. So my question is, how would it be possible to remove the remnants of Bootcamp/Windows? During or after installation of MacOS?

I am aware that it was my mistake to remove Bootcamp from Disk Utility and not through Bootcamp utilities, but that only occurred to me afterwards.

So just to be clear, I want to start completely over and so far have followed the step by step instructions of the process from signing out from everywhere to disconnecting bluetooth devices to resetting NVRAM to erasing MacOS and existing partitions. My next step would be to install MacOS with the installer I have on an USB drive, but I’m wondering if I should do something before that with this Windows issue. I will attach a photo of disk utility to show how the disk looks like now.

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 7:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 8:08 AM

How to create a bootable installer for macOS and the computer being used to download and create the USB Installer Must Qualify for the version of MacOS is being downloaded.

Special Notation - this should work but on Intel Based Apple Computers and Untested on M1

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID equipped Apple Computer. About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

THIS WELL DESTROY ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE

Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer. Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ). The drive normally is called Apple Media of Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 16, 2021 8:08 AM in response to krknn

How to create a bootable installer for macOS and the computer being used to download and create the USB Installer Must Qualify for the version of MacOS is being downloaded.

Special Notation - this should work but on Intel Based Apple Computers and Untested on M1

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID equipped Apple Computer. About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

THIS WELL DESTROY ALL DATA ON THE DRIVE

Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer. Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ). The drive normally is called Apple Media of Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

About clean install: Windows remains as a boot option after wiping the whole SSD clean

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.