You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch SE + Data Plan

Hi all-

I really want a new Apple Watch. The thing is, do I have to buy ANOTHER Cellular plan for it? Can it not just suck off of my phone? I really don't want to have to do it, but I do want GPS & Cellular on it.

Thanks guys!

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 10:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 10:13 PM

Most carriers will require you to have data attached to the watch to use their network. Often, this is just a small add-on fee. Contact your carrier for details. https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/

2 replies

Jul 17, 2021 3:58 AM in response to Sullysymmes

The cellular Apple Watch (if you activate the cellular radio) shares the iPhone’s number. Carriers that support the Apple Watch add a fee to your iPhone’s cellular bill. In the U.S. the fee is typically $10 per month.

If you get a GPS only, or do not activate the cellular radio, it will use your iPhone as long as it is nearby (which you most likely already know).

The cellular carrier has to track you Apple Watch radio, and route all calls to your Apple Watch, and route your Internet traffic, and pay Internet interconnect services to carry your Internet data to other networks, etc…. This is all in addition to doing the same thing for your iPhone’s cellular radio.

Paying $10 per month in addition to your iPhone bill is not much for what you are getting.

Apple Watch SE + Data Plan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.