You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

son passed away and need to get into macbook

hi my son recently passed away and I'm trying to figure out if there is a way i can get into is .macbook pro laptop without his apple ID or password I would really like to retrieve his photos and videos for his little kids

Apple Watch Sport

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 6:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 7:36 AM

If it is a 2017 or earlier model that does not have Filevault enabled, then the data is accessible without being able to log into the laptop. If this is the case, then you can boot the laptop from an external drive or put the laptop into Target Disk Mode to connect it to another Mac where you can then access the unencrypted data. If the laptop has Filevault encryption enabled or is a 2018 model with the T2 security chip, or the laptop has a firmware password lock, then you will need to go through the legal measures mentioned by @BobTheFisherman.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 17, 2021 7:36 AM in response to sedenea

If it is a 2017 or earlier model that does not have Filevault enabled, then the data is accessible without being able to log into the laptop. If this is the case, then you can boot the laptop from an external drive or put the laptop into Target Disk Mode to connect it to another Mac where you can then access the unencrypted data. If the laptop has Filevault encryption enabled or is a 2018 model with the T2 security chip, or the laptop has a firmware password lock, then you will need to go through the legal measures mentioned by @BobTheFisherman.

son passed away and need to get into macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.