You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make Apple Mail my default email application?

For many years, I've used Apple Mail as my default email application on my MacBook Pro, with a xyz@mac.com email address. Also, Safari is my default web browser.

Recently, I was required (by a new job) to create a gmail.com account, and to use that exclusively for all work-related email. To keep that completely separate from my personal email, I only access the gmail account within Google Chrome.

Now, Chrome has somehow hijacked my MBPro, so that any time I click on a hyperlink in the form of an email address, Chrome launches itself and take me to straight to Gmail. How do I revert to the previous stuff quo, where clicking on a hyperlink email address will launch (or switch to) Apple Mail?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 9:00 AM

5 replies

Jul 17, 2021 12:26 PM in response to ipsyd

Do you have a Time Machine backup to Restore to/from?

The free Malwarebytes may take care of it...

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mac/

See if you have unknown Profiles.

To remove a configuration profile in macOS:

1. From the Apple menu, select System Preferences....
  2. From the View menu in System Preferences, select Profiles.Note:
  3. Profiles won't be visible until you have at least one profile installed.
  4. Select the profile you want to remove, and then press the - (minus) button. Click Remove to remove the profile.

How to make Apple Mail my default email application?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.