You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My phone (iPhone 7 is saying I can’t use my phone make calls or receive messages until I do an update, which my phone will not allow me to do, is this one of the iPhone 7 issues that is inherent to the phone and what do I do?

What to do about the iPhone 7 it says I need to do an update something to do with wide and but I can’t make,!receive calls or text messages

iPhone 7, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 17, 2021 1:59 PM

7 replies

Aug 13, 2021 11:19 AM in response to GaryNewOrleans

Hi Gary - I did some research online after getting the diagnosis for my phone re: cellular console failing. In the process, I discovered this: iPhone 7 Repair Program for "No Service" Issues - Apple Support

I went back to the Apple Store and showed an associate this recall/repair notice and was told that yes, my phone qualified for this free repair. While frustrating (because I felt the store should have known about this recall to begin with and advised me better), I was grateful to have found this article and grateful that they honored the repair. I just received my phone back today, fixed, they installed a new battery, and $0 charge. Apple redeemed themselves for me on this issue. :-)

Therefore, I encourage anyone experiencing a similar issue to use the above linked notice to help resolve it. To note, the charge for repairing the cellular console (out of pocket) would have been USD $319.

Jul 30, 2021 6:42 PM in response to Redrock1999

Yep, this happened on my iPhone 7 in mid-July 2021. I followed all of the instructions (as linked by Miss Smartie Partie below) Apple Support advises, with no luck. I took my phone into an Apple store today and they ran a diagnostic test on it which showed that the phone's Cellular Console (hardware issue) was basically toast. Done-zo. They also said that iPhone 7's are known for this problem. So either you pay for the repair of that or buy a new phone, which unfortunately given how costly it is to repair, buying a new phone seems to be a better option. I got a new iPhone SE. I would be REALLY interested to know if you get a repair quote for fixing this hardware problem that is a more affordable option ~ please respond if so!! I can either trade in my iPhone 7 as-is, or fix and save for my teenager to use.

Aug 16, 2021 12:32 PM in response to Redrock1999

Yep, this happened on my iPhone 7 in mid-July 2021. I followed all of the instructions (as linked by Miss Smartie Partie below) Apple Support advises, with no luck. I took my phone into an Apple store today and they ran a diagnostic test on it which showed that the phone's Cellular Console (hardware issue) was basically toast. Done-zo. They also said that iPhone 7's are known for this problem

My phone (iPhone 7 is saying I can’t use my phone make calls or receive messages until I do an update, which my phone will not allow me to do, is this one of the iPhone 7 issues that is inherent to the phone and what do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.