You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to set up guest user

I am running macOS 10.15.7 on a MacBook Pro 16-inch, 2019.

I open System Preferences > Users & Groups.

'Guest User' is visible, but greyed out and not click-able.

I unlock the lock at bottom left of window.

'Guest User' is then available. When I click on that, the box next to "Allow guests to log in to this computer" is already checked.

I click and lock the lock. 'Guest User' again becomes greyed out.

I log off of my machine.

The log in screen comes up, but Guest User is not available.

I restart, just to make sure. But again when it comes back up, Guest User is not available.

How can I allow my guest to login via as 'Guest User'

Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 8:14 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 19, 2021 10:05 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I went into System Preferences, Users & Groups, unlocked, un-checked Guest User, locked, exited System Preferences.

Immediately went back into System Preference, U&G...Guest User was still checked???

I decided to log out of my machine.

The logon screen now had the choice either me or Guest User. I clicked into Guest User, everything worked as expected - Safari worked fine; no access to any other part of the machine.

Logged out and back in as myself. Checked Users & Groups. Guest user is greyed out.

I think this is very bizarre behavior, but at least I know how to do what I want, so I'll close this for now. I may open it as a bug for support in the future.

Thanks!!!

unable to set up guest user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.