You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

desktop preview icons for saved url's using default icons?

When I drag and drop URLs from any browser (Safari, Firefox, Brave etc.) to my desktop, the icon is always the default icon (with the @ sign). This also effects saved browser url's in the Finder. Other desktop icons show the correct preview, this seems to be only a problem with browser previews. I have tried

• toggling the Show Preview Icon under view options
  • Moving com.apple.finder.plist and com.apple.desktop.plist out of usr/library/preferences and rebooting.

I had the appropriate previews before I installed Big Sur.

Any ideas? Nothing in the threads I looked at fixed this.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 8:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 8:37 AM

These are webloc files. I don't have any previews, nor I do remember having them for these files. A webloc file contains just the url and not an image of the website. It is a very very small file. I suppose that if it had a preview this would take far more space than the actual contents.

2 replies

desktop preview icons for saved url's using default icons?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.