You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop & Documents Folders won't stay checked in iCloud

Ever since I had my computer reverted to factory settings, I can't get the desktop to automatically back up to iCloud.

I go into Apple ID --> iCloud Drive--> options and then select Desktop & Documents Folders and DONE. When I reopen, though, the Desktop & Documents Folders box is unchecked again. I have quit, shut down, restarted, but it's always the same. Can you advise?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 19, 2021 10:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2021 12:21 AM

Have the same issue. Alternate user the box stay checked but when I revert it remains unchecked. Has the solution been found?? Apple call centre advised me to get external hard drive for back up!!!!!!! Would really appreciate help

5 replies

Jul 20, 2021 9:20 AM in response to LLinCT

Hello LLinCT, 

It sounds as though iCloud Drive is not remaining enabled for Desktop & Documents on your Mac. Apple Support Communities is a great place for help, and it does sound as though you’ve walked through some great steps as well. In addition to those steps have you verified that you’re running the latest macOS? if not, continue with updating to the latest macOS version as outlined in the following article. 

Update macOS on Mac

If you’re updated to the latest macOS, or the issue continues please let us know if the issue occurs in an alternate user account on your Mac. If you don’t have an alternate admin user account you can create one using the steps in the article below. 

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Let us know how that goes. 

Jul 20, 2021 11:12 AM in response to LLinCT

Thank you for the update LLinCT. 

Since the issue isn’t happening in the alternate user account please go in to System Preferences > Users & Groups. Click your user account in the left column, then click Login Items. If you see any log items there please click on each item, followed by clicking the Minus sign to remove them. once they’re all removed try enabling Desktop & Documents to see what happens. If the issue persists restart the Mac one more time and try again. 

If the issue continues after those steps you’ll want to reach out to Apple next. You can find their contact information via the Get Support website. 

Have a great day!

Desktop & Documents Folders won't stay checked in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.