You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to run Macos through an external ssd?

I recently got a m1 mac mini with the 256 gb ssd and i have recently started to have trouble managing my music files. I use spectrasonics omnisphere, keyscape and trillian (166-180GB) and logic also takes up 17-18 gb storage. So i wanted to to know if i can reset my mac and make my external SSD as the main drive which it runs from or atleast run music plugins (AUs) from the external SSD. Thanks

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 4:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2021 8:42 AM

Dodo_0620 wrote:

So you’re saying i should reinstall all of my Macos and data on the external drive right?

No. I'm saying the exact opposite. Take whatever spectrasonics omnisphere, keyscape, trillian, and logic files that you have and move them to the external drive, however that works. You may need to contact each of those companies and ask for support and help on how to do that. You may need to use a symlink as suggested above.

However, I do not recommend that you attempt this with any Apple data. For the purposes of this exercise, I'm considering Logic to be non-Apple. Don't screw around with any of the data used by software that comes with the operating system or you'll be sorry you did.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 20, 2021 8:42 AM in response to Community User

Dodo_0620 wrote:

So you’re saying i should reinstall all of my Macos and data on the external drive right?

No. I'm saying the exact opposite. Take whatever spectrasonics omnisphere, keyscape, trillian, and logic files that you have and move them to the external drive, however that works. You may need to contact each of those companies and ask for support and help on how to do that. You may need to use a symlink as suggested above.

However, I do not recommend that you attempt this with any Apple data. For the purposes of this exercise, I'm considering Logic to be non-Apple. Don't screw around with any of the data used by software that comes with the operating system or you'll be sorry you did.

Jul 20, 2021 7:58 AM in response to Community User

First of all, make sure to have an up to date backup.

For the purpose of this example, let's assume you are doing this with the Music folder, and that you are using an external drive called "MyDrive". To make things more organized, we are putting the Music folder inside a "MyStuff" folder in "MyDrive".

1) Create the "MyStuff" folder inside "MyDrive"

2) Drag the Music folder to "MyStuff" to copy it. Depending on the size of the folder and the speed of the drive that may take a little while (but since we are talking about SSD it should not be very long).

3) When the copy is finished, delete the original Music folder [you did make a backup, didn't you?]

4) Open Terminal.

4a) Type "ln -s " (without the quotes but with the trailing space!). Do NOT press enter

4b) Drag the newly created Music folder from the external drive onto Terminal. Do NOT press enter

4c) type "~/Music" (again, without the quotes)

4d) Press enter

This last step creates the symlink. Now for all intents and purposes, it appears that you still have a Music folder in your home folder, but it is quite transparently pointing to the real location.

Jul 20, 2021 7:47 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Could you please explain what to do with the symlink and where do i put this symlink. Also just curious is it possible to erase my mac and setup my external drive as the main drive for everything?

Jul 20, 2021 10:19 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

One last question, would i need to format and use the drive in a macos formal (afps or something like that) or i can use it in the default format it comes in for the symlinks?

Is it possible to run Macos through an external ssd?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.