You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to open photo after having installed version 11.5

unable to open photo after having installed version 11.5, what's going on ? that the second time which after installing a new release averything is broken !

iMac 27″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 2:35 PM

10 replies

Jul 26, 2021 3:56 PM in response to Tboneharry

Your problem is the ExFAT format. This is not compatible with photos libraries. It needs to be APFS (Or MacOS extended (journaled)) (Not case sensitive)

Yes, I know you've used it up until now but the problem with incompatible volumes is they can work - until they don't. Operating the library on one can result in a gradual build up of errors in the library until it eventually stops opening, otherwise malfunctions, or a later OS version decides it can't work with it. To be honest it is ridiculous that the app doesn’t detect an incompatible volume, and refuse to work with it (with appropriate message) until you sort it out

The problem is if you've copied it to the MacHD and it still doesn't work, I'm not sure what your next move is. Are you sure the copy has worked correctly (are package contents the same?)

Are you syncing your desktop with iCloud? If so, also not compatible. Try moving it to the pictures folder and see what happens. In fact, move it to the pictures folder anyway.

If that gets you nowhere, then do you have a copy you can restore from backup to your pictures folder?

Failing that, can you install your previous version of MacOS on an external SSD, then use that to repair the library (On a correctly formatted drive) then try that repaired/correctly formatted version with your 11.5 (I know this is not an attractive solution, but I'm not sure where else to go. Unless you already have a second mac with an earlier version of Big Sur on it you can try)

See

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201517

unable to open photo after having installed version 11.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.