You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Installer: "An error occurred loading the update."

I am trying to install my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) to Big Sur. I have downloaded the installer. When I run it, I can click through the Software Agreement, select my disk (Macintosh HD), then get to the progress bar that says "About 15 minute remaining".

About two minutes in, I get a a slide out dialog that says "An error occurred loading the update." Nothing else.

I tried all the suggestions on the internet, including installing via USB, easing the drive and entering safe mode, but it still doesn't work.

This problem only appeared when i installed Big Sur, i tried every download of 11.0-11.5 even from the App Store, i tried reinstalling Catalina via USB and it still works

How do I update to Big Sur?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 8:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 8:38 AM

FYI, there is an ongoing network outage impacting CDN (Content Delivery Networks) Akamai especially as well as Level3 backbones, Cloudflare and other DNS providers that started yesterday and continues this morning. This might be messing with your downloads. Try setting DNS manually on the Mac to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 while downloading the installer.

This Mac has a T2 security chip. Make sure you login to the Recovery Console and allow USB Booting with a local admin account.

If Catalina via USB worked then boot into Catallina and re-download Big Sur via Terminal

sudo softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 11.5

Then erase the USB flash drive and name it MyVolume and re-burn it via Terminal

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Try running the installer via this method first. It will prompt to quit Terminal when it is ready to reboot.

sudo ./Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --agreetolicense --nointeraction

If that fails, try the USB installer again and completely erase everything from your internal disk with Disk Utility and allow the installer to create the volumes.

There will likely be firmware updates being made to the T2 and the Mac may appear completely turned OFF, it is not OFF it's writing to the T2 SoC and upgrading the BridgeOS. Do not interrupt it. It may reboot more than once.

If all else fails you may need a second Mac a Thunderbolt cable and Apple Configurator 2 on the second Mac to revive the T2 chip in the MacBook Pro 2019. Apple's very specific instructions on how to do this:

https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-configurator-2/revive-or-restore-an-intel-based-mac-apdebea5be51/mac

The USB-C charging cable is NOT a Thunderbolt data cable you will need a real Thunderbolt3/4 USB-C cable.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 23, 2021 8:38 AM in response to namxhung

FYI, there is an ongoing network outage impacting CDN (Content Delivery Networks) Akamai especially as well as Level3 backbones, Cloudflare and other DNS providers that started yesterday and continues this morning. This might be messing with your downloads. Try setting DNS manually on the Mac to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 while downloading the installer.

This Mac has a T2 security chip. Make sure you login to the Recovery Console and allow USB Booting with a local admin account.

If Catalina via USB worked then boot into Catallina and re-download Big Sur via Terminal

sudo softwareupdate --fetch-full-installer --full-installer-version 11.5

Then erase the USB flash drive and name it MyVolume and re-burn it via Terminal

sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/MyVolume

Try running the installer via this method first. It will prompt to quit Terminal when it is ready to reboot.

sudo ./Applications/Install\ macOS\ Big\ Sur.app/Contents/Resources/startosinstall --agreetolicense --nointeraction

If that fails, try the USB installer again and completely erase everything from your internal disk with Disk Utility and allow the installer to create the volumes.

There will likely be firmware updates being made to the T2 and the Mac may appear completely turned OFF, it is not OFF it's writing to the T2 SoC and upgrading the BridgeOS. Do not interrupt it. It may reboot more than once.

If all else fails you may need a second Mac a Thunderbolt cable and Apple Configurator 2 on the second Mac to revive the T2 chip in the MacBook Pro 2019. Apple's very specific instructions on how to do this:

https://support.apple.com/guide/apple-configurator-2/revive-or-restore-an-intel-based-mac-apdebea5be51/mac

The USB-C charging cable is NOT a Thunderbolt data cable you will need a real Thunderbolt3/4 USB-C cable.

Jul 23, 2021 8:23 AM in response to namxhung

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a Trusted Developer and well Respected ASC Contributor. The application is free or paid from added features. Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ). It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software. The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

Big Sur Installer: "An error occurred loading the update."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.