You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Time Machine: Past explanation for "Out of Space" is incomplete

The discussion of "Out of Space" in a previous question states "Once Time Machine finds it cannot free up enough space for a new backup it reports the disk is full. You can either erase the backup drive and start over or get a larger drive." This fails to get at the problem: What's wrong with the design of Time Machine that it can't reliably keep discarding the oldest incremental file? Relatively few files actually change over time--it shouldn't take much space to track that.

I have a TM drive that is 3 times the size of my system drive. If TM were working properly, it should just hum on forever. But instead, I keep getting the message Backup Failed, Out of Space. With 453 Gb free, how is it possible that TM can't do an incremental backup?

BTW, I've had a continuing problem since Sierra: "Entering TM" produces a black screen, without the stacked windows. I'm able to get the standard TM screen to appear for only a second as I close this. What's up?

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 7:53 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Jul 23, 2021 11:28 AM in response to Techie242

Well, since the internal drive has a lot of empty space and the external also has a lot of empty space- can you put the drive with the issue aside for now. Then introduce a new TM Drive and set it up as the default drive and test is the original issue replicates itself. More of a test than anything else.

No chance any Cleaner or Optimizer applications have been run or installed ?

Catalina Time Machine: Past explanation for "Out of Space" is incomplete

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.