You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Backup

Do I really need ICloud backup activated if I only have one apple device?

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 3:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2021 11:31 AM

It's up to you. For me, yes; It automatically backs up my device regularly so I don't have to remember to. Should my device fail when I am on vacation I can set up a replacement anywhere there's Internet. I could just make do with an iTunes/Finder backup but then I have to be near my computer and also connect it to my computer (which I have not done in years). It's a matter of convenience. I use so little data on my devices I can squeeze 4 device backups into my 5 GB free iCloud storage.

Backup methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - general comparison of using Finder/iTunes vs. iCloud - https://support.apple.com/HT204136

Of course you could do without a backup altogether if you are using iCloud to sync items. If you use iCloud syncing then most of what people would really consider to be critical is in iCloud and a backup is mostly configuration information.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 26, 2021 11:31 AM in response to AlmaGB

It's up to you. For me, yes; It automatically backs up my device regularly so I don't have to remember to. Should my device fail when I am on vacation I can set up a replacement anywhere there's Internet. I could just make do with an iTunes/Finder backup but then I have to be near my computer and also connect it to my computer (which I have not done in years). It's a matter of convenience. I use so little data on my devices I can squeeze 4 device backups into my 5 GB free iCloud storage.

Backup methods for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - general comparison of using Finder/iTunes vs. iCloud - https://support.apple.com/HT204136

Of course you could do without a backup altogether if you are using iCloud to sync items. If you use iCloud syncing then most of what people would really consider to be critical is in iCloud and a backup is mostly configuration information.

iCloud Backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.