You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

extend tp link router with base station

I have a new TP Link router and would like to use an Airport Express base station to extend the wifi network. Will the base station work with my new router?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 27, 2021 6:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2021 7:35 AM

Thank you. I have done this using an Apple router (Time Capsule) but I couldn't get it to work with the new router and suspected it would only work with an Apple router but wanted confirmation. (That wasn't a very well constructed sentence!)

4 replies

Jul 27, 2021 7:09 AM in response to Colleen in WI

Will the base station work with my new router?

Yes and no.

Yes, if you establish a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection between the TP Link router and the AirPort Express and set up the Express to provide a WiFi network that uses the exact same wireless network name and password as the TP Link router.

No, if you are planning to have the Express connect to the TP Link router using only a WiFi connection and extend the network in that manner.......since Apple's wireless "extend" feature will only work with other Apple routers.

However, the AirPort Express should be able to "join" the TP Link router using a WiFi connection if you want to use the AirPort Express for AirPlay......but, the Express does not "extend" a network when it simply "joins" the network.

Jul 27, 2021 2:06 PM in response to Colleen in WI

If you need a stronger WiFi signal in another area of the home, and you already have a TP Link router, then look for a TP Link extender to wirelessly extend the signal from the main router.

Yes, it is possible that another brand might work, but it is always better......and a lot simpler.....to use products from the same manufacturer that are designed to work well with each other.

extend tp link router with base station

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.