You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect Mac Mini 2012 iOS Catalina to MacBook Air 2017 iOS big sur

I have an old 2012 Mac Mini which has been reset as a new clean computer with Catalina. I would like to connect it via screen sharing to my MacBook Air which has Big Sur. The Mini is connected to my modem with a cable and my MacBook with it via wifi.

how do I do screen sharing with the Mini so that I can control it from my MacBook?

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 11:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2021 12:15 PM

Hello, matrioska24.

You can start by taking look at this support document:

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/share-the-screen-of-another-mac-mh14066/mac

On the MacBook that you want to share the screen of, go to System Preferences > Sharing and enable Screen Sharing.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 30, 2021 12:15 PM in response to matrioska24

Hello, matrioska24.

You can start by taking look at this support document:

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/share-the-screen-of-another-mac-mh14066/mac

On the MacBook that you want to share the screen of, go to System Preferences > Sharing and enable Screen Sharing.

Jul 30, 2021 1:53 PM in response to matrioska24

Not sure the age of that article, but it doesn't tell you that screen sharing must be enabled in System Preferences on the Mac mini. It won't work otherwise and the mini won't show up as a shared resource in Finder on the MacBook until you do.

You will have to find a way to view the Mac mini desktop and OS functions. HDMI to a tv would (should) work.

EDIT -

Once enabled, you can find the Mac mini listed in the Finder's sidebar on your MacBook. From there you can connect to it and share the screen.

Connect Mac Mini 2012 iOS Catalina to MacBook Air 2017 iOS big sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.