You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won’t my remote fast forward and rewind or pause

Apple TV, tvOS 14

Posted on Aug 1, 2021 2:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 7:32 AM

First things first. Can we assume you have successfully paired the remote with your Apple TV?

So what happens when you hit the pause button (middle button on the left)?

Play content

To play or pause movies, shows, songs, and more, press to click the Touch surface of your remote or press Play/Pause  . You can also fast-forward, rewind, find special features, and more.

Go forward

• Press Play/Pause  or click the Touch surface to highlight the song or video timeline. Then swipe to the right on the Touch surface to go forward. Click the right side of the Touch surface to play the next song or video.

Go back

• Press Play/Pause  or click the Touch surface to highlight the song or video timeline. Then swipe to the left on the Touch surface to go back. Click the left side of the Touch surface to play the previous song or video.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203777

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 4, 2021 7:32 AM in response to Vickildenis

First things first. Can we assume you have successfully paired the remote with your Apple TV?

So what happens when you hit the pause button (middle button on the left)?

Play content

To play or pause movies, shows, songs, and more, press to click the Touch surface of your remote or press Play/Pause  . You can also fast-forward, rewind, find special features, and more.

Go forward

• Press Play/Pause  or click the Touch surface to highlight the song or video timeline. Then swipe to the right on the Touch surface to go forward. Click the right side of the Touch surface to play the next song or video.

Go back

• Press Play/Pause  or click the Touch surface to highlight the song or video timeline. Then swipe to the left on the Touch surface to go back. Click the left side of the Touch surface to play the previous song or video.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203777

Aug 12, 2021 8:04 AM in response to Vickildenis

IKrup,

I don't believe that you have answered the question. I have the same problem.

What you have described is how to advance and rewind. No problem. The emphasis on the question, and my problem, is the inability to go FAST forward or rewind.

I recently purchased a current model Apple TV 4K with the new remote. I really like the Apple ecosystem and the quality of the video on my LG OLED screen. The 4K was going to replace my Roku box, but now I am not so sure because of two seemingly insurmountable problems:

A. You cannot forward or reverse more than a few minutes at a time without multiple swipes at the control. Try to fast forward an hour or reverse an hour on a recording. Roku handles this very easily, where increasing hits on the fast forward or reverse button can dramatically increase the rate of the forward or reverse. It is just too tedious on the Apple TV 4K.

B. A second and potential disaster when combined with the first matter is that DVR recordings from TV or Cable which continue to record do not start at the beginning when selected, but go to the end of the recording. My routine is to record a show and start to watch it thirty minutes or so after the live broadcast. I then start at the beginning of the modestly delayed recording program so I can fast forward through the ads. Roku handles this well by bringing you to the beginning when you go to a recording. On the Apple TV 4K the only choice when it goes to the current location of a recording show is to try to fast rewind to the beginning, which is tedious at best as in #A.

I look forward to any ideas on how to FAST forward or rewind on the Apple TV 4K, which I love in every other respect.

Thanks!

Why won’t my remote fast forward and rewind or pause

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.