You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN for iPhone

Wanted to know if anyone uses a VPN for their iPhone and if so which brand is best? I have an iPhone 8 but thinking of upgrading when the new phones are out. Also, should I install my security software that I use on my desktop to my phone? I use ESET. Thank you

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 7:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 8:32 AM

isj1 wrote:

Also, should I install my security software that I use on my desktop to my phone? I use ESET.

You don't need any on an iOS device.

Keep the iPhone updated to the latest iOS always and never Jailbreak. That's it.

iOS / iPadOS devices cannot be hacked or infected with Virus / Malware / Spyware if it is updated to the latest iOS/iPadOS unless you have intentionally downloaded spurious software or unauthorized apps directly from the internet and installed on your device or/and have Jail Broken. 

It (Hacking) also depends on how careful are you in sharing sensitive and valuable information pertaining to your iPhone such as Passcode, Password etc with your friends and family members.

Be careful when sharing the device's sensitive and valuable information with friends and family members.

Thumb Rules:

1. Enable  Guided Access before handing over an iPhone to kids
  2. Don't share Apple IDs
  3. Don't Jail Break
  4. Don't share sensitive information pertaining to your device and payment methods
  5. Beware of Phishing

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 3, 2021 8:32 AM in response to isj1

isj1 wrote:

Also, should I install my security software that I use on my desktop to my phone? I use ESET.

You don't need any on an iOS device.

Keep the iPhone updated to the latest iOS always and never Jailbreak. That's it.

iOS / iPadOS devices cannot be hacked or infected with Virus / Malware / Spyware if it is updated to the latest iOS/iPadOS unless you have intentionally downloaded spurious software or unauthorized apps directly from the internet and installed on your device or/and have Jail Broken. 

It (Hacking) also depends on how careful are you in sharing sensitive and valuable information pertaining to your iPhone such as Passcode, Password etc with your friends and family members.

Be careful when sharing the device's sensitive and valuable information with friends and family members.

Thumb Rules:

1. Enable  Guided Access before handing over an iPhone to kids
  2. Don't share Apple IDs
  3. Don't Jail Break
  4. Don't share sensitive information pertaining to your device and payment methods
  5. Beware of Phishing

Aug 3, 2021 9:19 AM in response to isj1

Actually, no one has gotten a virus or malware on their phone unless they foolishly jailbroke it. It just doesn’t happen. People regularly get scam texts, emails and calendars that SAY the phone has been hacked, but they are all just that: Scams to sell useless apps, or to steal identities when someone falls for them, clicks a link and provides personal information→Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Aug 3, 2021 8:35 AM in response to isj1

Something to think about→Don't use VPN services. · GitHub

There are two legitimate purposes for using VPN:

• To allow access to a private network such as a school or business when you are not on site. 
  • To allow access outside of a country with a repressive government that has restricted Internet access.

Any other use is risky, and can lead to problems. VPN disguises your location by making you appear to be somewhere else in the world. But you usually can’t control that “somewhere else”, and if it is in a location that an app isn’t approved for the app won’t work. Plus the fact that the provider of the VPN knows everything about you and your location, as well as what sites you access through the VPN. So you are totally dependent on the VPN provider’s honesty. As a start, if the VPN is free, DON’T USE IT. The provider has to make money somehow, and if you aren’t paying them then they are selling your private data to make money. But even those that charge can’t necessarily be trusted.

You don’t really need VPN when using public Wi-Fi, because all communications between your iPhone and the servers it accesses are end-to-end encrypted, unless you go to non-secure websites.

Aug 3, 2021 8:55 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you Mr. Finch for that information. I agree that I never use anything that is free for my technology and always get references about a product . I have a VPN for my work laptop and never use public Wi-Fi with that. I was wondering if my telephone number or internet can be protected when my iPhone is in use. Yesterday for instance, I used my iPhone at home to speak with Medicare and immediately when I got off, I got a call from a female (foreign) who said she was from Medicare and a pain center offering me a back brace. Sounded like a call center with lots of other voices in the background. I notified Medicare Fraud Unit as I know it had to be scam. I was concerned that my iPhone or Medicare's phone were tapped and would a VPN protect phone calls.

Aug 3, 2021 9:05 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for your information. I am very careful with my devices and always keep them all up to date. I don't download anything other than necessary apps. I am not one who is addicted to the "toys". I don't share passcodes at all with anyone and if I had to, it would get immediately changed for sure. I probably delete many texts and emails that may be real but look suspicious to me. I do the same at work and then security sends me the safe, non-spam email back :). I have known some people who had gotten a virus and malware on their phones so wanted to make sure mine was as secure as it could be. I never say never. Appreciate your information.

Aug 3, 2021 9:13 AM in response to isj1

VPN can’t protect phone calls because it doesn’t route the voice channel. And your phone can’t be tapped. However, there are databases of phone calls that are accessible. Your carrier forwards all call records to such a database (unless you explicitly tell them not to, and even then they may ignore the request), and anyone can pay to access it.

I have received calls from medicare scams that ask for me by name. And I never call medicare; I use the online site if I need anything. However, the site has my phone number, required for 2 factor authentication, or there is leakage from the medicare/CMS database, or perhaps from providers or medicare supplement insurance I have interacted with.

VPN for iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.