You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Difficulty with Time Machine back-up: "Preparing backup..." appears stalled

Have set up an external SSD for Time Machine in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format, the partition dedicated for Time Machine is 500GB. My files for back-up consume 192GB of the 1.12 TB Macintosh HD hard-drive. I'm running macOS Catalina 10.15.7.

The estimated size of full backup is 578GB; I am unclear on where this estimation comes from. Does Time Machine also backup Cloud files? Time Machine has been "Preparing backup..." for some hours now and does not appear to perform the backup.

Oldest backup: None

Latest backup: None

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 8:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 8:56 AM

jvcw23 wrote:

Never mind, I deleted the attempted backup files and started fresh, this time it worked.

if your Time Machine back-up: "Preparing backup..."

re-appears it typically indicates a drive operating in a state of failure— your best course of action is replace the drive.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-you-need-to-create-a-new-backup-mh34042/11.0/mac/11.0

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 3, 2021 8:56 AM in response to jvcw23

jvcw23 wrote:

Never mind, I deleted the attempted backup files and started fresh, this time it worked.

if your Time Machine back-up: "Preparing backup..."

re-appears it typically indicates a drive operating in a state of failure— your best course of action is replace the drive.

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-you-need-to-create-a-new-backup-mh34042/11.0/mac/11.0

Difficulty with Time Machine back-up: "Preparing backup..." appears stalled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.