You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t reinstall MacOs High Sierra

I have tried to reinstall MacOS High Sierra, but it keeps popping up an error message about “can’t Preboot volume” or something to that extent. I tried to restart and hold down “Command, Option, and R” but now my screen just pops up a circle with a line through it and won’t do anything else.

I have already followed other instructions about erasing my disk under disk utility and then trying to reinstall it but it won’t reinstall.

MacBook, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 1:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 1:22 PM

If you have already followed the recommendations in this article (If your Mac starts up to a circle with a line through it - Apple Support), then your best bet is to contact Apple Support: Get Support.

7 replies

Aug 4, 2021 1:22 PM in response to spongealmighty1

I’m guessing this is a polycarbonate MacBook from late 2009 or mid 2010.

It’s quite possible the hard disk drive has failed.

Run the hardware test ➡️ How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac - Apple Support

Use Disk Utility to check for and potentially repartition the internal volume. GUID GPT partitioning, HFS+ selected. If the hard disk is working.

If not, you can either swap the hard disk (an SSD will be a substantial performance boost), or install macOS on an external storage device as a test.

Aug 6, 2021 4:48 PM in response to BDAqua

So what do I need to do? I’ve gotten the screen back to the MacOS Utilities screen where it keeps me all the options such as “Restore a Time Backup,” “Reinstall MacOS,” “Get Help Online,” and “Disk Utility.”

Ive tried to erase the Mac SSD disk (only disk popping up) but I don’t see anything that says MacOS Extended Formatting. The only option it gives me is APFS.

Can’t reinstall MacOs High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.