You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no sound playing back wav files after upgrading to Big Sur

I upgraded my MacBook Pro late 2013 to OSX Big Sur, and now my wave files do almost lost the sound volume. It is really hardly recognisable that there is a sound at all even with maxed out the speaker volume. Speaker and Volume control is ok because i can hear the sound for example in youtube.

Does anyone else have such problems ?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 6:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 7:35 AM

Open your sound preferences and select Output > Built-in. Then either single-click on the .wav file to play it in the Finder. Once the .wav has played in the Finder, it will not play again with a single-click until you click elsewhere and then click on the .wav again.

You can also double-click on the .wav file to open it with the Music app. Click Play. Works fine on my 2014 MacBook Air running macOS 11.5.1

The default opening application for a downloaded .wav file will be Apple's Music application on Big Sur, which you can confirm with a Get Info on the .wav file. This is what is playing the audio when you single-click on the .wav file.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2021 7:35 AM in response to Daniel_LG

Open your sound preferences and select Output > Built-in. Then either single-click on the .wav file to play it in the Finder. Once the .wav has played in the Finder, it will not play again with a single-click until you click elsewhere and then click on the .wav again.

You can also double-click on the .wav file to open it with the Music app. Click Play. Works fine on my 2014 MacBook Air running macOS 11.5.1

The default opening application for a downloaded .wav file will be Apple's Music application on Big Sur, which you can confirm with a Get Info on the .wav file. This is what is playing the audio when you single-click on the .wav file.

no sound playing back wav files after upgrading to Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.