You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can you download on your Apple TV to your external HDD whilst downloading to the main SSD

I have an external HDD and I would dearly love to set it up as a back up to download too, to save some space for the SSD but, I want to also keep the SSD as also the main storage, but download when I want to the External HDD. Is it possible to have two working?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 9:02 PM

6 replies

Aug 13, 2021 6:04 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Sorry for not having responded, so I see, you can't have more than two places to store it on, so i was hoping to have it download to my main laptop then if i wanted to change also have it on my external, but also read it on my external if i want to save room from my main SSD. What I am asking is can I have it read movies from my external HDD if I have some movies also downloaded onto my SSD or will i have to switch from which place I have it downloaded to?

Aug 13, 2021 8:15 PM in response to Mister_Passive

You could have the default library location on the primary drive, and make a copy of a media file to store on a secondary drive.

You can opt to not force consolidation into one media folder. Then library additions just keep their current file location.

There is no seamless way to switch between two sources. Each library item has one source file location. But if you try to start a media file that appears as missing to the computer, then it will ask to locate it, to repair the library link.

How can you download on your Apple TV to your external HDD whilst downloading to the main SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.