You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set up the AirTag using my MacBook?

Am I able to set up an AirTag on my MacBook? All the support articles don't mention using the MacBook to set it up.

I don't have an iPhone, if I can't use my MacBook, can I use my Android phone?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 4:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 8:03 PM

No.

What you need 

An iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 14.5 or iPadOS 14.5 or later and two-factor authentication turned on

• Find My turned on.
  • Bluetooth turned on.
  • A strong Wi-Fi or cellular connection.
  • Location Services turned on: Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
  • To be able to use Precision Finding and to see the most accurate location for your AirTag, turn on Location Access for Find My. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services, then scroll down and tap Find My. Check While Using the App or While Using the App or Widgets. Then turn on Precise Location.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 9, 2021 8:03 PM in response to AKSAdrian

No.

What you need 

An iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 14.5 or iPadOS 14.5 or later and two-factor authentication turned on

• Find My turned on.
  • Bluetooth turned on.
  • A strong Wi-Fi or cellular connection.
  • Location Services turned on: Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
  • To be able to use Precision Finding and to see the most accurate location for your AirTag, turn on Location Access for Find My. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services, then scroll down and tap Find My. Check While Using the App or While Using the App or Widgets. Then turn on Precise Location.

Can I set up the AirTag using my MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.