You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur install stuck

My install of Big Sur is stuck and has been for at least two hours

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 5:11 PM

6 replies

Aug 9, 2021 5:18 PM in response to Rswiley

Stuck in Installation process or on preparing the Installation ?? There is a difference and thus different possible solutions.

Installation process and two hours - not normal Shutdown by whatever means required. Disconnect all devices and connect to charger. Restart and Immediately hold the Shift key until ate Apple Logo Appear then release. This is Safe mode , does a Repair Disk, clears cache files and only loads Apple Software - load slowly - normal. This may or may not allow the upgrade process to complete and load Setup Assist of Big Sur.

Preparing the Installation - no error message appearing ? Please advise the exact Error Message says.

Aug 10, 2021 8:04 AM in response to PRP_53

It went through most of the installation process. Stuck on the reboot on the Apple screen at less than 50%. I was able to boot up safe mode and it has Big Sur system working. But I cannot get into my regular system with all my other applications and files. Left overnight and still the same this morning.

Big Sur install stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.