You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

💡 Did you know?

General and ongoing cleaning can help you maintain your AirPods or AirPods Pro.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Pro not resetting or updating

Hi I’m having trouble resetting my AirPods Pro so I can try to get the new firmware but I cannot get them to reset I place them in case close the lid forget device wait 30-60 sec open and hold button all it does is blink white two or three times then goes to green.. what am I doing wrong?? Please help!!!!! TIA

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 12:53 AM

3 replies

Aug 11, 2021 7:12 PM in response to Joevalverde

Thanks for posting in the Apple Support Communities Joevalverde,

We understand you want to update your AirPods firmware.

Are you currently having issues with your AirPods you want to address by updating the firmware? Or do you just want to ensure they have the latest firmware installed?

Either way, resetting your AirPods isn't necessary to update them to the latest version. First, if you pair them with an iPhone, make sure the iPhone is running the latest release of iOS, 14.7. If it's not, backup and update your iPhone.

Next, check the firmware your AirPods currently have installed. You can do that by tapping Settings > Bluetooth > AirPods. From there, tap "i", then scroll down to the About section to see the firmware version. If you see "3E751", you have the latest firmware, and no additional steps are needed.

If you don't see that version, you can update the firmware using the following steps:

1. Make sure the AirPods are within Bluetooth range of their companion iOS, iPadOS, or macOS device.
  2. Listen to music or other audio content with the AirPods for at least 30 seconds. 
  3. Put the AirPods back in the Charging Case and close the lid.
  4. Use the Lightning cable to connect the Charging Case to power. Wait 30 minutes. Then reconnect the AirPods to the iOS, iPadOS, or macOS device that they are paired to. 

Please note that the lid of the AirPods Charging Case needs to be closed during the entire process. If it's opened at any time, the update is interrupted and it starts over.

When you've completed those steps, check the firmware again.

We hope this helps!

AirPods Pro not resetting or updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.