You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop not installed - problem

On my new MacBook Air, it looks like my desktop in not installed in the right way, or it is broken.

It is like this since the start, when I started to work with this computer (about 4 weeks ago). Maybe I did something wrong while installing the computer or starting to work with it?

Problems:

• There is no desktop icon in my finder, also not in my iCloud.
  • When I restart the computer, I have the same issue.
  • When I make a screenshot, the picture just disappears and it is saved nowhere. It is also not visible on the desktop.
  • My desktop only shows the icon of my harddisk.
  • I can change the background picture of my desktop, that is working well.
  • When I make a new user, this new user DOES have a desktop.

What is going on here? How can I solve this?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 3:01 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 1:48 PM

Oh, I found a very simple solution myself.

In the folder of me as a user, there was a file (not a directory) with the name 'desktop', but this file seemed to be weird. I just deleted that file, and manually created a new directory with the name 'Desktop'.

And now it's working!

Weird but true. :-)

6 replies

Aug 11, 2021 4:14 AM in response to EllenApple

When the computer was First Setup - was iCloud Enabled. Check in System Preferences >> Internal Accounts >> on left look for iCloud >> is it listed. If Yes, click on it and inside are all the Options to enable various services like Contacts, Photos etc. If iCloud is Not Listed and one what's iCloud >> on Right see iCloud and click on that. It should enable the iCloud and you choose the Services to be enabled.

Set up iCloud on all your devices

Aug 11, 2021 1:40 PM in response to PRP_53

Yes, iCloud was enabled. When I look into iCloud, I can select 'desktop' to be synced to iCloud. However, there is still no desktop working on my MacBookAir.

I'm also using Dropbox (and syncing my desktop and downloads-folder to Dropbox).

In both iCloud and Dropbox, I do see a 'downloads' folder, but there is no folder 'desktop'.

How can I solve this?

Desktop not installed - problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.