You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur typing lag

I have the same issue. MacOS 11.5.1 on a MBP 16" 2.6Ghz i7, 32GB RAM,4TB HDD, and even typing this is nearly impossible. There is lag, missed keystrokes, and it's random. The Bluetooth reset did not work for me. Did not have any issues prior to Big Sur.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 6:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 1:20 PM

Thank you for the information regarding Safe Mode and subsequent Normal Mode.

The Safe Mode as to try and determine is the issue experience as System Wide. Judging from the results of Safe Mode - it is not System Wide.

Should the lag in typing return in normal usages - perhaps it is in the your User Account. Would suggest Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and switch to this account - just for testing purposes. Should the issue not present itself in this account but is in Normal User Account - am pretty sure the real issue is in the Normal User Account. Should the Lag not appear in either account - the newly created account can be removed at any time.

Hope this helps

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 11, 2021 1:20 PM in response to Jeremiah Joson, Pharm.D.

Thank you for the information regarding Safe Mode and subsequent Normal Mode.

The Safe Mode as to try and determine is the issue experience as System Wide. Judging from the results of Safe Mode - it is not System Wide.

Should the lag in typing return in normal usages - perhaps it is in the your User Account. Would suggest Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and switch to this account - just for testing purposes. Should the issue not present itself in this account but is in Normal User Account - am pretty sure the real issue is in the Normal User Account. Should the Lag not appear in either account - the newly created account can be removed at any time.

Hope this helps

Aug 11, 2021 8:42 AM in response to PRP_53

Hello, I did as you suggested. I typed for several minutes in Pages, TextEdit, and in Chrome and could not discern an issue with lag. I restarted into normal and it seems ok again, although my temp fix in the past has been to restart the MBP. So far, I've tried a Bluetooth reset module, turned off screen saver, and turned off automatic graphics switching, none of which seemed to work.

Big Sur typing lag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.