You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safe to share proof of purchase/Apple invoice?

I’m selling my relatively new and undamaged 16” MacBook Pro.

When I posted it on eBay, I was asked various questions about the machine, including requests for proof of purchase (rightly so, any prospective buyers need to know I actually have the machine and that it’s not stolen).

My question is: is there any risk to me if I share my Apple invoice? I have already redacted my personal details (name, address etc.) but I’m not sure how much damage someone could do with my Order Number, Invoice Number, Purchase Order Number etc. Should I remove any of that info too? Any advice would be appreciated. And if anyone has experience selling their MacBook, I’d be keen to hear any other tips!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 6:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 6:59 AM

I would also redact the Order Number, Invoice Number, Purchase Order Number, etc.

eBay protection and guarantee should be enough for serious buyers. I find that it is becoming more and more difficult to sell electronics on eBay and have turned to the used the "Used" Companies (Sell Your Mac and Powermax come to mind) to sell my machines or trade into Apple credit on a future purchase.

Take a look at this article from Apple before selling - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 15, 2021 6:59 AM in response to manuelfish

I would also redact the Order Number, Invoice Number, Purchase Order Number, etc.

eBay protection and guarantee should be enough for serious buyers. I find that it is becoming more and more difficult to sell electronics on eBay and have turned to the used the "Used" Companies (Sell Your Mac and Powermax come to mind) to sell my machines or trade into Apple credit on a future purchase.

Take a look at this article from Apple before selling - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Aug 15, 2021 7:26 AM in response to mdhurst

Thanks for your quick reply. My hesitation about removing the other details is that it would deem the act of sharing the document somewhat pointless; it’ll show only Apple logo and the name of the machine. Although that’s definitely better than becoming the victim of a scam.

I couldn’t agree more when it comes to selling on eBay, it’s starting to feel like more hassle than it’s worth. However, the likes of SYM only offer a fraction of the value of the machine which is a little frustrating. Swings and roundabouts!

Safe to share proof of purchase/Apple invoice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.