You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac os Big sur installation problems

Hi,

I have a macbook pro that i bought in may 2020 but it is the 2019 model.

I tried downloading big sur however after it installed it wouldn't download when i opened the installation so I shut down my laptop.

Somehow the installation was deleted and the option to install is no longer in system preferences, it says that my laptop is up to date but it is still on catalina 10.15.7.

I tried installing from the app store but it comes up with error no installation found.

Mac will not give me support for their own downloading issue as it is just over the one year warranty which I find very disappointing because my laptop was in perfect condition until I tried to update it.

I desperately need the update because I can not access an application that I need for uni.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

I have tried a few rebooting shut downs and still no luck.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 12:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 2:12 AM

> If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Make sure there is no old "Install Big Sur" in /Applications. Log out from App Store. Reboot in safe mode and try to download Big Sur from App Store.

Or try to boot into Internet recovery mode via Option-Command-R and install the latest supported system.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 16, 2021 2:12 AM in response to tilda201

> If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Make sure there is no old "Install Big Sur" in /Applications. Log out from App Store. Reboot in safe mode and try to download Big Sur from App Store.

Or try to boot into Internet recovery mode via Option-Command-R and install the latest supported system.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Aug 16, 2021 2:33 AM in response to tilda201

As already suggested by @ Matti Haveri. Remove from Applications folder an Old Install Big Sur by Drag and Drop to Trash and Empty Trash. Then follow instructions provided and try again.

Point # 2 - Are there any AntiVirus, Disk Cleaner, Optimizers, Un-installers, etc installed which should be removed as per Developers Instructions. They are useless, unneeded, cause havoc and interfere with the normal operation of the OS and may even Corrupt the OS requiring a Reinstallation. The Built-in Security of Big Sur is all that is required.

Point # 2 A - Commercial VPNs should only be used if Mandated by Corporate Head Office for working remotely. Otherwise - ones Privacy and Security touted by the VPN is suspect.

Mac os Big sur installation problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.