You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone made a backup last night but nothing shows up in the list or on iCloud. Where is the backup?

My iPhone 8 made a backup last night but nothing shows up in the list or on iCloud. Where is the backup?

It just says "Last successful backup: Yesterday at 5:36 PM"

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 8:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2021 9:10 AM

You can verify existing backups in Settings->Account(top of settings)->iCloud->Manage Storage->Backups->Device Name on an iOS device.

To use one to restore from, you must have already reset the device to factory settings and are in the process of setting it up again. At that time you you will get a choice to restore from a backup in the Apps & Data screen.. When selecting to restore from an iCloud backup it will show a list of backups available for you to choose from.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 16, 2021 9:10 AM in response to lisaschultz6684

You can verify existing backups in Settings->Account(top of settings)->iCloud->Manage Storage->Backups->Device Name on an iOS device.

To use one to restore from, you must have already reset the device to factory settings and are in the process of setting it up again. At that time you you will get a choice to restore from a backup in the Apps & Data screen.. When selecting to restore from an iCloud backup it will show a list of backups available for you to choose from.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Aug 16, 2021 10:03 AM in response to lisaschultz6684

So that was a bust. I was able to restore the old backup from Saturday, but the data from before that date is still not back on the phone.

I have Messages backup active.

I had the Messages from a contact all visible before the Saturday backup.

Then the iPhone does the backup on Saturday and all the text messages from before are gone.

Even now in the restored backup, they are gone.

"Nice" software.

Aug 16, 2021 10:08 AM in response to lisaschultz6684

lisaschultz6684 wrote:

So that was a bust. I was able to restore the old backup from Saturday, but the data from before that date is still not back on the phone.
I have Messages backup active.
I had the Messages from a contact all visible before the Saturday backup.
Then the iPhone does the backup on Saturday and all the text messages from before are gone.
Even now in the restored backup, they are gone.
"Nice" software.

icloud backups up whatever data is on the phone, not what isn't on the phone.

My iPhone made a backup last night but nothing shows up in the list or on iCloud. Where is the backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.