You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password Security

I received a message that some of my passwords may have been compromised to fix them I was to go to a say and open it . To open the site I was to use my finger print identity is this safe?

iPhone SE, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 8:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 8:36 AM

Your fingerprint is a shortcut to your password store, or a shortcut that allows you to use a longer or more complex iPhone passcode and not have to enter it as often to access your iPhone, and is not your password. (Similarly, if you’re using encrypted notes in the Notes app, your finger print is a shortcut into the note, but forgetting that Notes password means you will not be able to access the Notes saved with the (now forgotten) password.)

Here? Your password is seemingly inadequate, or has leaked.

You will want to review the recommendations available in Settings > Passwords > Security Recommendations, and address the issues identified there as appropriate.

Be aware that there are phishing mail messages and other scams here too so be cautious about arriving messages offering to log you info some website or service. Click or tap on the following blue-text link for details on that ➡️ Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 17, 2021 8:36 AM in response to BW518

Your fingerprint is a shortcut to your password store, or a shortcut that allows you to use a longer or more complex iPhone passcode and not have to enter it as often to access your iPhone, and is not your password. (Similarly, if you’re using encrypted notes in the Notes app, your finger print is a shortcut into the note, but forgetting that Notes password means you will not be able to access the Notes saved with the (now forgotten) password.)

Here? Your password is seemingly inadequate, or has leaked.

You will want to review the recommendations available in Settings > Passwords > Security Recommendations, and address the issues identified there as appropriate.

Be aware that there are phishing mail messages and other scams here too so be cautious about arriving messages offering to log you info some website or service. Click or tap on the following blue-text link for details on that ➡️ Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Password Security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.