You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grabbing a clip from a video

I recently turned some VHS tapes into digital and I don't know how to grab bits and pieces from the movies. For example, I have three different VHS "movies" that are over an hour long. I am trying to grab 30 seconds here, 15 seconds there, and so on so I can turn those clips into an iMovie.

Do I grab the whole hour-plus movie, put it into the timeline, find what I want, split the long clip so to the left I have the various pieces I want? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Chip

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 1:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2021 2:03 PM

Yes, you have basically got it right. Put the long clip into the timeline. Then place the playhead at the in-point where you want to split. Do a Modify/Split Clip. Then move the playhead to the out-point, and do a Modify/Split Clip. That will create a segment between the two points.. Then select the segment by clicking on it, and do Edit/Copy, and then do Edit/Paste it into a newly created project. Repeat the process with several created segments. That will leave you with a new project with all of the segments that you want to work with.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 17, 2021 2:03 PM in response to RCMjr

Yes, you have basically got it right. Put the long clip into the timeline. Then place the playhead at the in-point where you want to split. Do a Modify/Split Clip. Then move the playhead to the out-point, and do a Modify/Split Clip. That will create a segment between the two points.. Then select the segment by clicking on it, and do Edit/Copy, and then do Edit/Paste it into a newly created project. Repeat the process with several created segments. That will leave you with a new project with all of the segments that you want to work with.

-- Rich

Grabbing a clip from a video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.