You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much would a MagSafe port replacement cost on a 2017 MacBook Air?

Hi all,

Back in 2019 my charger broke and I didn't have money for an authentic one so I got a cheapy from eBay. As you can guess, it has destroyed my port. It would have been cheaper to just get an Apple certified one, I know.

Anyway, now no chargers work for very long, I have gotten 3 new chargers genuine Apple ones) since then and they have all broken. From my googling, what I think has happened (based on my research) is that it's sparked or shorted out and that has damaged the port. From a visual inspection, the the contact pins (not sure if that's the correct term or not but I mean the gold things in the port) are black and don't look to healthy.

I have tried everything suggested on any website and every support forum post I can find but nothing has helped. I've taken a toothbrush to it with cleaning alochol, didn't work, tried an SMC reset, didn't work, I have tried pretty much everything.

So, my question is; how much would it cost to get it fixed? I'm still a minor so I can't just take it to an Apple store and hope I have enough money, unless it cost 50 cents, I will most likely need to save up for a few weeks. Price doesn't need to be exact, just a rough estimate or even a range so I know how much I will need.

Thanks

p.s I know I can't travel to a store with current COVID restrictions, this is mainly just so I can start saving up to get it fixed. Also, I am located in Australia.

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 3:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 7:38 AM

If you can't use chat or phone then the only options remaining is to visit a Genius Bar or mail it in. There are only so many ways to contact anybody and these are the ways Apple has set up.

For the US and Canada: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210151

No idea about other countries, but I'm sure there are some provisions for the rest of the world

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 20, 2021 7:38 AM in response to IAmABaku

If you can't use chat or phone then the only options remaining is to visit a Genius Bar or mail it in. There are only so many ways to contact anybody and these are the ways Apple has set up.

For the US and Canada: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210151

No idea about other countries, but I'm sure there are some provisions for the rest of the world

How much would a MagSafe port replacement cost on a 2017 MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.