You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootable USB drive not showing up for El Capitan

Hi, so I am trying to reset an old IMac I have been given and there are 2 main issues.

1) no start up disk showing

2) the USB drive I downloaded doesn't show up when I start in recovery mode. It is plugged into a USB drive and in disk utility it does show up but doesn't show up at the beginning for me to click install.

How can i fix these 2 main issues please?

Hope you can help please.

( I have tried all sorts of other options, like booting using option + R etc, also the reinstall function doesn't work, the Apple ID doesn't work - as I am not the original user, I have tried Apple support who just asked me to take it to a repairer which won't be worth it given the age)

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 12:04 PM

4 replies

Aug 22, 2021 10:47 PM in response to MrE2021

I think this is essential the same question you have asked in other posts

where you have been given advice to source another mac that you know

can run El Capitan and create a bootable installer there.

If you cannot source another mac to act as a donor then there are other ways to

get an OS installed.

Some more information would be nice.

Do you know which year this mac is from.

Does this iMac have a built in CD/ DVD drive.

Were you given the original install disks.

Were you given a Snow Leopard DVD disk.

If you were given the Snow Leopard DVD install disk you can install that

update it to version 10.6.8 from here,

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

After you have updated it to 10.6.8 open the App Store Updates page

install any other updates.

Download El Capitan from this link,

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to Download OS and click on OS X El Capitan 10.11

this downloads InstallMacOSX.dmg to your Downloads folder.

The next section can only be done on a mac that is capable of running El Capitan.

This includes macs that have the potential to run El Capitan but have been upgraded to a newer OS.

A mac that came preinstalled with an OS later than El Capitan will refuse to do the next bit.

When downloaded open to InstallMacOSX.pkg, double-click on

that and an installation window will open, this does not install El Capitan

but converts the InstallMacOSX.pkg to the Install OS X El Capitan.app which 

you will find in your Applications folder, it should be 6.2GBs in size.

(If the installation window asks which disk you want to install to, you must pick 

the disk that you are booted to at the time. Not any internal or external disk that 

you want to eventually install El Capitan on, that is for later.)

To start the installation of El Capitan double click on the Install OS X El Capitan.app.

The copy of the install app self deletes after installing El Capitan, so make sure you keep a copy of the 

InstallMacOSX.dmg if you need it in future, or you could just make a copy of the Install OS X El Capitan.app 

prior to installing and moving it to an external drive for safe keeping. 

It is also possible to create a bootable USB installer disk using the Install OS X El Capitan.app in the Applications 

folder and the createinstallmedia command in the Terminal app. 

Read the instructions here,

How to create a bootable installer for macOS – Apple Support

If you can't source a donor mac or have access to the Snow Leopard DVD installer

then you may have to resort to trying to get El Capitan installed via Apples Recovery

Servers.

The certificates for several of Apples OS's expired in October 2019, Apple haven’t bothered getting these updated on 

their Recovery Servers with valid certificates. 

Try this workaround, we are going to set the time and date on your mac to a date previous to the expiry date of the certificates.

Connect your mac to your router via cable, not WiFi

Boot to your Recovery HD, click on Disk Utility press Continue.

Select the Disk i the left hand column (Apple HDD.... or similar) Click on Erase.

Give the Disk a name.

Format: Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)

Scheme: GUID Partition Map

Click Erase

When Done Quit Disk Utility.

Click on Utilities in the menubar select Terminal.

Make sure WiFi is switched off, it can reset the date back to today.

Enter a new date, for example or just copy and paste

sudo date -u 011421002017

press Return

enter your password

press Return

If Terminal returns an error saying sudo : command not found, then try again without sudo.

just enter 

date -u 011421002017

press Return

You won't be prompted for a Password if you did not need to use sudo

Once the date has changed you can quit Terminal.

Now try downloading the OS.

Click on Install OS X, press Continue.

If this works then when the OS is installed and booted up you can Open System Preferences> Date & Time

and reset the time back to today.

Aug 21, 2021 12:52 PM in response to MrE2021

I'm a bit confused by your post on what you are trying to do here. Are you trying to boot into Recovery Mode to install macOS to an external USB drive or are you trying to boot from a macOS USB installer to install macOS to the internal drive?

Here are the instructions for creating a bootable macOS USB installer:

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Make sure to carefully read the section regarding macOS 10.11 as there are extra steps required to extract the real installer from the downloaded .dmg archive to the Applications folder. After running the .pkg file from the mounted .dmg file you can then proceed to use the command line to create the bootable macOS USB installer itself.

Macs are very picky about the drives used for booting a Mac plus the quality of many USB sticks is extremely poor so try using another USB stick especially a different brand.

When erasing the drive make sure to select the whole physical drive within Disk Utility and erase the physical drive as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled). The physical drive should be the top most item which is usually identified by the make & model of the drive itself.

Aug 22, 2021 4:05 PM in response to MrE2021

As long as the Mac you are using to create the bootable macOS 10.11 installer can actually run macOS 10.11 (it does not need to be running 10.11 at the moment) , then the directions provided will work if you are using a good USB stick. If not, then please provide the exact error message and if it occurs using the command line, then please provide the command used as well (copy & paste or a picture).

Bootable USB drive not showing up for El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.