You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using old i mac as a secondary monitor!

Hello everyone!

So, I have a question about the target display mode on my late 2013 iMac 21.5"!

I'm trying to connect it with my new iMac m1 2021.

I've used mini dp cable and thunderbolt 2 cable. However, non of them worked.

I've seen it working with mac mini or macbook air m1s, but I have no idea why it doesn't work with iMac.

Please help me with this issue, so that I can keep my old iMac as a secondary monitor.

Thanks!!

iMac 24″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 7:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2021 7:23 PM

Unfortunately, that setup is not supported by Apple. The iMac cannot be used as a monitor for any of the newest Macs and target display mode is no longer a feature of macOS.

As Apple states them, here are the rules for target display mode on iMac:

click> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

Per the link above:

• Make sure that your target iMac is using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or earlier. 

• The source Mac must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 20, 2021 7:23 PM in response to hueinx

Unfortunately, that setup is not supported by Apple. The iMac cannot be used as a monitor for any of the newest Macs and target display mode is no longer a feature of macOS.

As Apple states them, here are the rules for target display mode on iMac:

click> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

Per the link above:

• Make sure that your target iMac is using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or earlier. 

• The source Mac must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

using old i mac as a secondary monitor!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.