You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've messed something up whilst trying to factory reset my Mac for a new user.

I need some help guys, ive attempted to factory reset my mac to give it to a new user. So what i've done is: i went to disc utility and deleted the volume group from the main internal partition, then i tried to erase the bare drive that was shown (APPLESSD256G...) but i had an error message saying that the erase process has failed, on the details it said: ' Unmounting disk' and ' couldn't open device', so i kept erasing it but made no difference.

Now when i reboot my mac all i get is an envelope with a question mark, and when i try to reinstall macos from utilities i get this error: 'The installer information on the recovery server is damaged'.

The pictures i have attached is what i see now on the disk utility...

Please help... :(

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 6:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2021 7:58 AM

While in Internet Recovery Mode

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives.

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. 

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS.

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2021 7:58 AM in response to KnowledgeSeeker20

While in Internet Recovery Mode

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives.

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. 

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS.

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Aug 22, 2021 7:09 AM in response to KnowledgeSeeker20

When i erase MacHD, it doen't go away, it just stays there.

Erase in Disk Utility doesn't make it go away. It replaces the format on the volume with another one (or maybe the same), but it doesn't remove the file system altogether.

If you attempted to Erase the bare drive in Recovery, it would not be able to because the Recovery OS is running from that drive.

You should be able to erase (i.e. reformat) the MacHD volume. However, I seem to remember it always names it Untitled, so if you didn't change the name in the Erase dialog, it may not be actually erasing that volume.

If you boot into Internet Recovery (cmd-opt-r) you should be able to erase the bare drive. Use GUID and APFS.

Catalina should be able to install on HFS+, but it will convert it to APFS.

If you are trying to install Big Sur (which recovery might be trying to do), it would need to be formatted APFS.

I've messed something up whilst trying to factory reset my Mac for a new user.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.