You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failed MacOS reinstall

I have a MacBook Air A1932 that absolutely refuses to take a Catalina reinstall. I tried Internet Recovery and an external bootable drive. Both start the install and proceed to 99.9% but then fail with error code -1008F. No idea how to fix this.

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 10:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 10:14 AM

That error code relates to the T2 chip on your MBA.

Ref: If your Mac starts up to error -1008f - Apple Support

5 replies

Aug 30, 2021 9:06 AM in response to Tesserax

I'm sorry to say, this is still not working. I removed the Mac from the tracking list on iCloud.com, tried all 3 key combinations for Internet Recovery, and even booting from a Protogo USB. All attempts ended the same way with the 1008F error.

The stranger thing was the Protogo boot attempt. I pressed Option at startup and the Protogo was displayed as the only startup disk. However, after selecting it, the Mac went into Internet Recovery boot up instead of booting from the USB. It's like it's stuck in trying to complete the Internet Recovery.

Any way to reset that T2 chip?

Aug 30, 2021 9:27 AM in response to Stephan Bour

Stephan Bour wrote:

…Any way to reset that T2 chip?

You’re using the Apple reset procedure.

If that fails, contact Apple Support using the Get Support link in the upper right of this webpage, as there’s seemingly a firmware or hardware issue arising here.

Which may well be related to why you’ve needed to try the Catalina re-install.

Among its various uses within a Mac, T2 is the I/O path out to your storage.

Failed MacOS reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.