You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

about this mac/storage/manage missing info

My OS is High Sierra and I have about 20gb free on a 500gb drive. about this mac/storage/manage is not showing photo information. Photos appear as zero kb. I have over 3gb of photos and they seem to be accessible from photos app but it does not recognize in about/storage/manage. I have already run first aid in recovery mode and ran sudo mdutil -E / to reindex spotlight. The only thing out of ordinary I did, was create a empty volume (not a container) under disk utility by accident that had nothing in it and then deleted that volume w/disk utility. Accessing the picture/Photos Library.photoslibrary and right clicking more info shows it is taking space and not showing as zero kb. Please help ;-;

MacBook

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 11:56 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2021 12:18 PM

If I were you, I'd be more concerned about the lack of available free space on my startup drive.

As a rule, the startup drive should always have a minimum of ~10% to15% of capacity free so the OS can do its job efficiently.

In your case that would be ~50GB or so. A drive with critically low space available can cause trouble.

You haven't stated that you're having any issue other than what seems to be an inaccurate accounting of drive space and a mismatch of the space designated to your iPhotos library. You can apparently still access the library, so... ??

Finder and Disk Utility are notorious for misreporting the drive space. It's not unheard of for them to be out of sync by many GBs.

Are you having any sort of performance issues?

If so, you should consider running an EtreCheck evaluation of your Mac. EtreCheck is a diagnostic app that gathers and reports important information about your Macintosh. It is very highly regarded and meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help others help you troubleshoot and resolve your Mac problems.

Please navigate to EtreCheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you’ve run the app and created your report please post it with your reply to this message. 

You must upload the full report. For instructions on how to attach your EtreCheck report to your reply, please click  How to use Add Text when posting…

We can use the EtreCheck report to look for the more obvious things that may be causing your problem and advise how to correct them.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 24, 2021 12:18 PM in response to macmakesmecry

If I were you, I'd be more concerned about the lack of available free space on my startup drive.

As a rule, the startup drive should always have a minimum of ~10% to15% of capacity free so the OS can do its job efficiently.

In your case that would be ~50GB or so. A drive with critically low space available can cause trouble.

You haven't stated that you're having any issue other than what seems to be an inaccurate accounting of drive space and a mismatch of the space designated to your iPhotos library. You can apparently still access the library, so... ??

Finder and Disk Utility are notorious for misreporting the drive space. It's not unheard of for them to be out of sync by many GBs.

Are you having any sort of performance issues?

If so, you should consider running an EtreCheck evaluation of your Mac. EtreCheck is a diagnostic app that gathers and reports important information about your Macintosh. It is very highly regarded and meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help others help you troubleshoot and resolve your Mac problems.

Please navigate to EtreCheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you’ve run the app and created your report please post it with your reply to this message. 

You must upload the full report. For instructions on how to attach your EtreCheck report to your reply, please click  How to use Add Text when posting…

We can use the EtreCheck report to look for the more obvious things that may be causing your problem and advise how to correct them.

about this mac/storage/manage missing info

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.