You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hover zoom Big Sur

I'm writing on behalf of my almost 90 year old Father-in-law. He remembers that there was a Hover Zoom function that did not require any keyboard stroked. I can't find that ability anywhere. Does anyone know a way? I am able to turn on and off the Hover Zoom in the Accessibility function, but there is no option to do it without a keyboard stroke.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Aug 26, 2021 8:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 29, 2021 4:35 PM

Howdy,

I checked some macOS versions.

High Sierra 10.13 and Mojave 10.14 don't offer the Hover Text option.

Catalina 10.15 and Big Sur 11.5.2 both offer Hover Text but both require a modifier key to activate.

Does the Picture in a Picture Zoom option work for him? That doesn't require a modifier key once activated (like with Option Command 8). Accessibility > Zoom > Zoom style > Picture-in-picture

Once selected, I like the Advanced… option to either have the screen image move

Continuously with the pointer, or

So the pointer is at or near the center of the zoomed image.

Oh, and you might want to Adjust Size and Location. I found the zoom window too narrow to be effective.

Please see if that works for him. And thanks for helping him!

ivan

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 29, 2021 4:35 PM in response to threeoffive

Howdy,

I checked some macOS versions.

High Sierra 10.13 and Mojave 10.14 don't offer the Hover Text option.

Catalina 10.15 and Big Sur 11.5.2 both offer Hover Text but both require a modifier key to activate.

Does the Picture in a Picture Zoom option work for him? That doesn't require a modifier key once activated (like with Option Command 8). Accessibility > Zoom > Zoom style > Picture-in-picture

Once selected, I like the Advanced… option to either have the screen image move

Continuously with the pointer, or

So the pointer is at or near the center of the zoomed image.

Oh, and you might want to Adjust Size and Location. I found the zoom window too narrow to be effective.

Please see if that works for him. And thanks for helping him!

ivan

hover zoom Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.